In New York, the penalties for gun crimes are tough, and they're only getting tougher. If you have been charged with a gun possession or gun related crime, you should hire a lawyer who is well-versed in New York gun laws and Second Amendment rights and can aggressively defend your rights. Few defense attorneys are as qualified to take gun crime cases as the lawyers of Tilem & Associates, PC.We are New York’s Premier Second Amendment Lawyers
Call Today for a Fast, Free and Friendly Consultation right over the phone.
Peter Tilem spent 10 years as an Assistant District Attorney, six of which were spent in the firearms trafficking unit. He worked throughout the East Coast, obtaining extensive experience in prosecuting and investigating gun-related crimes. Since then, he has put this knowledge to work, defending people accused of gun crimes. Mr. Tilem is also an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor, an NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, and is part of the USCCA Critical Response Team. He is also a frequent lecturer on New York Firearm and Weapons laws to attorneys and prosecutors.
New York gun and firearms laws are not only serious but complex. New York State and New York City may have different laws and a gun license issued outside of New York State may not be valid in New York City. In addition, New York requires both licensing and registration of handguns yet rifles that are not assault weapons are not even considered firearms under New York law. Certain types of rifles, shotguns and handguns may be illegal based upon their features yet other rifles, shotguns or handguns that are of the same caliber but have different features may be total legal.
Don't wait to contact us for a free initial consultation with a gun crime defense attorney in New York. We serve clients throughout the New York City area, including Westchester County and the five boroughs.More Details About Gun Crimes
At Tilem & Associates, PC, our lawyers handle many gun crime cases. What follows are details about just a few of the more common gun crimes in New York:
- Simple possession of an unlicensed firearm: if the gun is “loaded” and outside of your home or place of business you may be charged with a class “C” violent felony offense which carries a minimum penalty of 3.5 years in state prison and a maximum penalty of 15 years. In addition the term “loaded has its own definition in New York. Be very careful. This is a very serious charge.
- Possession of an assault weapon: this offense is a felony, whether or not the gun was loaded and whether or not you had an intention to use it. This is also a very serious charge.
- Possession of a large capacity ammunition feeding device: this could include a magazine for a pistol or rifle that can hold more than ten rounds. This is a class “D” felony and is very serious.
- Criminal Possession of a Firearm: New York’s Safe act added a new felony for possession of a firearm in your home or possession of an unloaded firearm outside your home or place of business. These crimes were previously misdemeanors but now may charge as “E” non-violent felonies.
- Sale of firearms: there are restrictions on selling guns to minors, secondary sales, etc. It is a felony to sell firearms without a license.
Other crimes can result in enhanced sentences. If you have a loaded firearm during a robbery, for example, you can get up to 25 years in prison. Even if you just pretend you have a gun, you can get up to 15 years in prison. People are also getting arrested in increasing numbers for possessing other weapons, such as gravity knives. At Tilem & Associates, PC, our New York gun crime defense lawyers help people accused of all kinds of weapon crimes.Put Our Extensive Experience to Work For You
If you would like to speak to an attorney about your gun crime charges, please call Tilem and Associates, PC at 877-377-8666 for a free consultation with a gun crime defense lawyer in New York. Our lead attorney is an NRA Certified Instructor and an NRA Range Safety Officer.