Top 100 Trial Lawyers
Top 40 Under 40
AV Preeminent
The National Trial Lawyers
Top Once Percent
Best DWI Attorney 2017
10 Best Law Firm

Me and my Family Members Cannot Agree on how to Manage our Property

Posted by Peter Tilem || 1-Jun-2015

Sometimes we’ll get calls from clients who own real-estate together with other family members and they can’t agree on how to manage the real-estate. They may also not get along, and they want to know if they can go to court. The truth is, in New York State, you have the right to a partition or a separation of your interest in the real property from the other family members involved. That is an action that can be brought in court, and it’s a way of essentially getting paid for your interest in real-estate.

You may be able to force a sale of the real-estate at public auction, or you may be able to simply be bought out by the other family members. In any case, this is real-estate litigation, it’s somewhat complex, and very often will occur in the commercial division of the New York State Supreme Court. If you get involved in such a case, it’s important to get a lawyer who’s experienced in commercial litigation, and in particular real-estate litigation.

Client Reviews
"Thank you again for discussing my case with today. I can not stress enough how impressed I am with your services as an attorney. You have gone above and beyond the call of duty to attempt to help me. Thank you again and best wishes." Rob
"I am writing to send you my heartfelt thanks for your work on my father’s case. You are a wonderful attorney. I was very impressed by you from our first meeting. I am so grateful we were referred to you." Joanna
"I wanted to first say thank you for everything you have done for me in the last several months. You made this very difficult ordeal in my life less stressful and easier to bear. I am grateful for having you as my attorney and I truly feel that you helped me above my expectations. I appreciate everything." W.S.